As a fan of Pride and Prejudice adaptations and spin off, I have read many of these types of novels. I was unimpressed with this novel, so much that I am not even going to do an in-depth review. The book simply isn’t worth it. . I felt the author did a disservice to Austin’s characters. They lacked personality and the entire book was one person after another worrying over something. The characters were bland, uninspired, and unremarkable.
The book also felt very fragmented to me and never allowed me to get into a smooth reading groove. I found the plot to be more like reading a newspaper report of an event rather than a novel. The author made an attempt to play off both pride (Wickham’s, Denny’s and the Colonel’s) and prejudice (everyone’s bias in regards to Wickham) but it just fails.
There are far better adaptations and spin offs than this one. Unless you feel the need to read all of them, take a pass on this one.
For a different view on the book check out
- Death Comes to Pemberley (thejkreview.wordpress.com)
- Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James (literatureobsessed.wordpress.com)
- May 4 – Pride and Predjudice, Pedalers (Bikers), and the Peak District (panoramicsnapshotsoflife.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: Death Comes to Pemberley (bostonwriters.wordpress.com)
- PD James, Death comes to Pemberley (Review, sorta) (whisperinggums.wordpress.com)